The Board was created by the 1927 legislature (see Laws of Minnesota 1927, chapter 245, section 4) as the Minnesota State Board of Hairdressing and Beauty Culture Examiners, consisting of three members appointed by the governor. In 1971 its name was changed to the Minnesota State Board of Cosmetology, its membership consisting of four members appointed to three-year terms (see Laws of Minn. 1971, chap. 99, sec. 2) .
In 1981 the board was abolished and all examination, licensing, and regulatory functions were transferred to the Office of Consumer Services within the Department of Commerce (see Laws of Minn. 1981, chap. 357, sec.31-48). That law also created the Cosmetology Advisory Council, which advised the director of the Office of Consumer Services "of the availability of cosmetology services and their ethical and safe operation."