State Capitol Grounds Commission
Also known as:
Capitol Grounds Commissioners
Function: The commission was empowered to acquire lands and to procure the services of a landscape artist or architect in order to extend, enlarge, and beautify the grounds of the new state capitol building.
The State Capitol Grounds Commission, created by an act of the legislature (Laws 1907 c281), consisted of the governor as chairman (ex-officio) and citizen members appointed by the governor. The commission was empowered to acquire lands and to procure the services of a landscape artist or architect in order to extend, enlarge, and beautify the grounds of the new state capitol building. A later amendment (Laws 1913 c348) allowed the commission to sell, remove, and dispose of any buildings upon the land. An act of the legislature abolished the commission and transferred its duties to the Executive Council (Minn. Laws 1929 Chap. 124 Sec. 1).
Three resident freeholders of the State of Minnesota, for the term of three years, or such time as may be necessary for them to complete their duties as herein prescribed, who, together with the governor as an ex-ofricio member, shall constitute a board to be known as the "Capitol Grounds Commissioners."
Record last updated:
All information on this group from the Library’s collection of agency notebooks has been digitized. These
materials are incorporated into the “documents/articles” section of the record. Please contact a librarian with any questions. The Minnesota Agencies database is a work in progress.