Also known as:
Minnesota Municipal Board
Active dates:1959 - 1999
Function: Acts on all boundary adjustments between a city and the adjacent land, and rules on incorporations of cities.
In 1959, Minnesota became the first state in the country to create a quasi-judicial commission, the Minnesota Municipal Board, to hear and decide local incorporation and boundary adjustment questions. Prior to this, the Minnesota Legislature was confronted with municipal boundary chaos.
The Legislature terminated the Board effective June 1, 1999 . At the time of its sunset, the Board convened at least once a month and averaged approximately 100 meetings and hearings a year. Board members were paid travel expenses and per diem. In certain proceedings, the local county board of commissioners designated two of its members to temporarily serve as full voting members of the Board. The Board appointed a full-time Executive Director. Staff included an Assistant Director and two clerical personnel.
On June 1, 1999, all of the statutory authority and responsibilities of the former Minnesota Municipal Board were transferred to the Office of Strategic and Long Range Planning, commonly referred to as Minnesota Planning, with the ultimate decision-making authority resting with the Director of that agency. The former Municipal Board staff now operated as Municipal Boundary Adjustments.
For more history on Municipal Boundary Adjustments in Minnesota and the Municipal Board, please see:
3 members (1 must be learned in the law, 1 must be a resident from outside the metropolitan area); appointed by governor; per diem and expenses for public members; members file with Ethical Practices Board.
Record last updated:
Additional print information on this group may be available in the
Library's collection of agency notebooks. Please contact a librarian for
assistance. The Minnesota Agencies database is a work in progress.