Information on Minnesota State Agencies, Boards, Task Forces, and Commissions
Compiled by the Minnesota Legislative Reference Library
Governor's Nuclear Waste Council
Also known as:
Nuclear Waste Council
Active dates:1985-1987 (Council is considered dormant)
The council's duty is to monitor the federal high-level radioactive waste disposal program under the Nuclear Waste Policy Act, Public Law Number 97-425 and advise the governor and the legislature on all policy issues relating to the federal high-level radioactive waste disposal program.
The council shall have at least nine members, consisting of:
(1) the commissioners of health, transportation, and natural resources, and the commissioner of the Pollution Control Agency;
(2) four citizen members appointed by the governor;
(3) the director of the Minnesota Geological Survey;
(4) one additional citizen from each potentially impacted area may be appointed by the governor if potentially impacted areas are designated in Minnesota; and
(5) one Indian who is an enrolled member of a federally recognized Minnesota Indian tribe or band may be appointed by the governor if potentially impacted areas are designated in Minnesota and if those areas include Indian country as defined in United States Code, title 18, section 11.54.
At least two members of the council must have expertise in the earth sciences.
Entries for this agency in the Annual Compilation and Statistical Report of Multi-Member Agencies Report:
1988, 1987, 1986, 1985.
Note: This report provides membership details as well as meeting information and a summary of the group's activities.
The council terminates when the department of energy eliminates Minnesota from further siting consideration for disposal of high-level radioactive waste.
Record last updated:
All information on this group from the Library’s collection of agency notebooks has been digitized. These
materials are incorporated into the “documents/articles” section of the record. Please contact a librarian with any questions. The Minnesota Agencies database is a work in progress.