The State Board of Electricity was created by the legislature in 1899 (Laws 1899 c312). The board originally consisted of five members--two master electricians, two journeyman electricians, and one consulting electrical engineer or an electrical inspector of a city--appointed by the governor to five-year terms. The legislature also established procedures for classifying and licensing electricians, and gave the board the power to examine applicants, grant licenses, and keep a record of licenses granted. As technology changed, the rules under which the board operated were updated by the legislature. Changes in the classification and required qualifications of licensed electricians were made in 1937 (Laws 1937 c314) and 1959 (Laws 1959 c496). Two board members, "electrical suppliers" from rural areas, were added in 1947 (Laws 1947 c253). The board was given the power to inspect and condemn hazardous electrical installations in 1947 (Laws 1947 c253); these powers were broadened and more clearly defined in 1951 (Laws 1951 c555) when the power to certify inspectors was granted, and in 1959 (Laws 1959 c496). In 1965 the board lost its jurisdiction over the installations, material, and equipment of utilities, and the signal systems of railroads (Laws 1965 c123). In 1967 the laws governing the board and the regulations it enforced underwent a major revision (Laws 1967 c602). Changes were made in the classification of electricians and the inspection rules and procedures, although the composition of the board was not changed. By 1980 the board's membership had been expanded to nine with the addition of two public members (1973 Minn. Laws Chap. 638 Sec. 49). The board's main functions remained the supervision of electrical inspectors and the granting of electricians' licenses. Placed board in Administration Department (1975 Minn. Stat. Chap. 136 Sec. 62). Removing requirement for consent of senate for governor's appointments (1976 Minn. Laws Chap 149 Sec. 53). Salary of executive secretary established pursuant to Minn. Stat. 15A.081 (1983 Minn. Laws Chap. 299 Sec. 28). Increased membership to 11, including 2 licensed alarm and communication system contractors (1985 Minn. Laws. 1st Sp. Sess. Chap. 6).