The Library's website will be unavailable on Saturday, January 16th from 5 a.m. until noon.
Information on Minnesota State Agencies, Boards, Task Forces, and Commissions
Compiled by the Minnesota Legislative Reference Library
Community Competency Restoration Task Force
Active dates:2019 -
The Community Competency Restoration Task Force is established to evaluate and study competency restoration programs and develop recommendations to address the needs of individuals deemed incompetent to stand trial.
By February 1, 2020, the task force shall submit a report on its progress and findings to the chairs and ranking minority members of the legislative committees with jurisdiction over mental health and corrections.
By February 1, 2021, the task force must submit a written report including recommendations to address the growing number of individuals deemed incompetent to stand trial to the chairs and ranking minority members of the legislative committees with jurisdiction over mental health and corrections.
The commissioner of human services shall convene the first meeting of the task force no later than August 1, 2019. The task force must elect a chair and vice-chair from among its members and may elect other officers as necessary. The task force is subject to the Minnesota Open Meeting Law under Minnesota Statutes, chapter 13D. The commissioner of human services must provide staff assistance to support the task force's work. The task force may utilize the expertise of the Council of State Governments Justice Center.
The task force expires upon submission of the report in subdivision 6, paragraph (b), or February 1, 2021, whichever is later.
Appointments to the task force must be made no later than July 15, 2019, and members of the task force may be compensated as provided under Minnesota Statutes, section 15.059, subdivision 3.
The Community Competency Restoration Task Force consists of the following members, appointed as noted:
- Catherine Middlebrook: Minnesota Sentencing Guidelines Commission representative
- David Hutchinson: Minnesota Sheriff's Association representative
- Vacant: State Court Administrator representative
- Dr. KyleeAnn Stevens: Direct Care and Treatment Services representative
- Dr. Raj Sethuraju: organizations representing racial and ethnic groups overrepresented in the justice system representative
- Tarryl Clark: The Association of Minnesota Counties representative
- Mark Bliven: designated by the Commissioner of the Department of Corrections Commissioner Paul Schnell
- Pamela Wheelock: the Commissioner of Human Services
- Richard Lee: Minnesota Association of Community Mental Health representative
- William Ward: the Minnesota Board of Public Defense representative
- Andy Skoogman: Minnesota Chiefs of Police Association representative
- Timothy Carey: Minnesota County Attorney Association representative
- Dr. Ian Heath: Minnesota Hospital Association representative
- Leah Kaiser: Minnesota Association of County Social Service Administration representative
- Tami Luek: Minnesota Association of County Social Service Administration representative
- Michael Woods: Ombudsman for Mental Health and Developmental Disabilities representative
- Harlan James Gilbertson: Minnesota Psychological Association representative
- Dr. Michael Trangle: Minnesota Psychiatric Society representative
- Monette J. Berkevich: Jail Administrator representative
- Becky Graves: a reentry representative
- Sheila Novak: a crime victim representative
- Catherine Moore: a person with direct competency experience representative
- Vacant: governor appointed member
- Sue Abderholden: a mental health organization representative
- Eren Sutherland: designated state protection and advocacy representative
Note: The Legislative Reference Library may have additional reports on or by this group available through our catalog.
Record last updated:
Additional print information on this group may be available in the
Library's collection of agency notebooks. Please contact a librarian for
assistance. The Minnesota Agencies database is a work in progress.