Information on Minnesota State Agencies, Boards, Task Forces, and Commissions
Compiled by the Minnesota Legislative Reference Library
Fargo-Moorhead Area Flood Diversion Task Force
Active dates:October 23, 2017 - December 11, 2017
Joint agreement between Governor Mark Dayton (MN) and Governor Doug Burgum (ND)
The purpose of the Task Force was to develop design principles and concept-level engineering solutions to achieve balanced flood risk management for the Fargo-Moorhead region, including upstream- and downstream communities and properties.
Construction on a $2.2 billion flood diversion project to protect the Fargo-Moorhead area began in Spring 2017. However, there were two pending lawsuits standing in the way and concerns over permitting from both the North Dakota and Minnesota Departments of Natural Resources. U.S. District Court Judge John A. Tunheim approved a temporary injunction on Sept. 7, 2017 ordering work to stop. The ruling recognized the need for permanent flood protection for Fargo-Moorhead and strongly encouraged all parties to work together to agree on a project that can serve the interests of both states and the affected communities.
North Dakota Governor Doug Burgum and Minnesota Governor Mark Dayton created a joint Task Force to propose the framework for flood risk management for the Fargo-Moorhead region. The Governors served as the Task Force Co-Chairs. Each Governor appointed eight members seeking to represent the range of perspectives in the region. Over a series of five meetings between October 23 and December 11, 2017, the Task Force’s role was to discuss flood control options and make recommendations. These recommendations are available for consideration by the Diversion Authority for a future permit application for flood control.
The working group will consist of eight members from North Dakota and eight members from Minnesota, plus the two governors as co-chairs.
Minnesota Task Force Members:
- Del Rae Williams, Mayor, Moorhead
- Heidi Durand, City Council Member, Moorhead
- Joel Paulsen, City Council Member, Moorhead
- Jenny Mongeau, Clay County Commissioner
- Tim Fox, Former Wilkin County Attorney
- Mark Anderson, Treasurer, Buffalo-Red River Watershed District
- Curt Johannsen, Mayor, Hendrum
- Steve Jacobson, Norman County Commissioner
North Dakota Task Force Members:
- Jason Benson, Cass County Engineer
- Rob Bergan, Fargo Business Leader and Entrepreneur
- Nathan Berseth, Richland County Commissioner
- Bernie Dardis, Board Chair, Greater North Dakota Chamber of Commerce
- Craig Hertsgaard, Farmer, Richland County
- Tami Norgard, Vogel Law Firm
- John Strand, Fargo City Commissioner
- Ken Vein, City Council Member, Grand Forks
Note: The Legislative Reference Library may have additional reports on or by this group available through our catalog.
Record last updated:
Additional print information on this group may be available in the
Library's collection of agency notebooks. Please contact a librarian for
assistance. The Minnesota Agencies database is a work in progress.