The State Board of Chiropractic Examiners was established in 1919 (Laws 1919 Chap. 64) and consisted of five chiropractors appointed by the governor serving five-year staggered terms. In 1973 two public members were added, increasing the membership to seven (Laws 1973 Chap. 638). The term of office was reduced to four years in 1976 (Laws 1976 Chap. 222). The board regulates chiropractors through educational requirements, examinations, and annually renewable licenses; certain requirements are specified by statute. It is also empowered to hold hearings on chiropractors' qualifications or conduct (Minn. Stat. 148.06, 148.10).