Legislative Commission on Surrogacy
Active dates:2016 -
Function: The Legislative Commission on Surrogacy was established to develop recommendations on public policy and laws regarding surrogacy. To develop the recommendations, the Commission shall study surrogacy through public hearings, research, and deliberation.
The Commission must submit a report including its recommendations and may draft legislation to implement its recommendations to the chairs and ranking minority members of the legislative committees with primary jurisdiction over health and judiciary in the house of representatives and senate by December 15, 2016. On topics where the Commission fails to reach consensus, a majority and minority report shall be issued.
The Commission held its first meeting on June 28, 2016. The Commission met ten times between June 2016 and December 2016. Please see the Commission's website for complete meeting details.
The Commission expires the day after submitting the report required under subdivision 6 of 2016 Minn. Laws Chap. 189.
The Legislative Commission on Surrogacy shall consist of 15 members, appointed as follows:
(1) three members of the senate appointed by the senate majority leader;
(2) three members of the senate appointed by the senate minority leader;
(3) three members of the house of representatives appointed by the speaker of the house;
(4) three members of the house of representatives appointed by the house of representatives minority leader;
(5) the commissioner of human services or the commissioner's designee;
(6) the commissioner of health or the commissioner's designee; and
(7) a family court referee appointed by the chief justice of the state Supreme Court.
Membership as of June 2016:
Senator Alice Johnson, Co-Chair
Representative Peggy Scott, Co-Chair
Representative Susan Allen
Representative Jon Applebaum
Senator Michelle Benson
Senator Scott Dibble
Assistant Commissioner Jim Koppel
Representative John Lesch
Senator Warren Limmer
Senator Sandy Pappas
Deputy Commissioner Dan Pollock
Representative Cindy Pugh
Senator Carrie Ruud
Referee Richard Stebbins
Representative Anna Wills
Note: The Legislative Reference Library may have additional reports on or by this group available through our catalog.
Record last updated:
Additional print information on this group may be available in the
Library's collection of agency notebooks. Please contact a librarian for
assistance. The Minnesota Agencies database is a work in progress.