The Commissioners of Natural Resources, Agriculture, Health, and the Pollution Control Agency, the Executive Director of the Board of Water and Soil Resources, the Board of Regents of the University of Minnesota, and the Metropolitan Council shall each appoint one person from their respective entity to serve as a nonvoting member of the council. Two members of the House of Representatives, including one member from the majority party and one member from the minority party, appointed by the Speaker and two senators, including one member from the majority party and one member from the minority party, appointed according to the rules of the Senate shall serve at the pleasure of the appointing authority as nonvoting members of the council. Members appointed under this paragraph serve as nonvoting members of the council.
Seventeen voting members of the council shall be appointed by the Governor as follows:
(1) two members representing statewide farm organizations;
(2) two members representing business organizations;
(3) two members representing environmental organizations;
(4) one member representing soil and water conservation districts;
(5) one member representing watershed districts;
(6) one member representing nonprofit organizations focused on improvement of Minnesota lakes or streams;
(7) two members representing organizations of county governments, one member representing the interests of rural counties and one member representing the interests of counties in the seven-county metropolitan area;
(8) two members representing organizations of city governments;
(9) one member representing township officers;
(10) one member representing the interests of tribal governments;
(11) one member representing statewide hunting organizations; and
(12) one member representing statewide fishing organizations.