An Examining Committee for Physical Therapists was created in 1951 to assist the Board of Medical Examiners in the examination, registration, and regulation of physical therapists (see Laws of Minnesota 1951, Chapter 479, Sec. 3). The five members included three physical therapists, one doctor, and one professor or assistant or associate professor from an accredited physical therapy course. Members were appointed by the governor.
In 1975 the law was changed to have the Examining Committee appointed by the Board of Medical Examiners.
The Examining Committee was changed to the Physical Therapy Council in 1980 (see Laws of Minnesota 1980, Chapter 412, Sec. 2). The Council included seven members: three physical therapists, two doctors, one professor or associate professor from a physical therapy program, one aide or assistant to a physical therapist, and one public member. The Council was appointed by the Board of Medical Examiners.
According to the Minnesota Board of Medical Practice's Biennial Report, 1994/96, the Physical Therapy Council was sunset on June 30, 1994. The Council was reinstated by law in April 1995 (see Laws of Minnesota 1995, Chapter 43 Sec. 1).
In 1999 the Board of Physical Therapy was established (see Laws of Minnesota 1999, Chapter 245, Article 9, Sec. 49). Nine members included four physical therapists, one doctor, one physical therapy assistant, and three public members. Appointments were made by the governor.
In 2008 the number of board members increased to eleven: five physical therapists, one licensed and registered doctor of medicine, two physical therapist assistants, and three public members (see Laws of Minnesota 2008, Chapter 277, Sec. 18).