The Minnesota State High School League was first organized in 1916 as the State High School Athletic Association. Its primary purposes were (1) to promote amateur sports and (2) to establish uniform eligibility rules for interscholastic contests.
In 1929 it broadened its scope by including all interscholastic athletic activities and added speech and debate. At that time the name was changed to the Minnesota State High School League. Music was added in 1965 and Girls Athletics in 1969.
The League has existed as a nonprofit, voluntary association of the public high schools since its inception. In 1960 it was officially incorporated under the laws of the State of Minnesota as a nonprofit corporation.
A high school that is a school under section 120A.22, subdivision 4, may be a member of the league. The league is made up of high schools whose governing boards have delegated their control of extracurricular activities, as described in section 123B.49, subdivision 4, to the league. The delegation is made when the governing board files a certificate of delegation with the commissioner of education.
In 2023, the Legislature increased membership of the governing board from 20 to 22.
Entries for this agency in the Annual Compilation and Statistical Report of Multi-Member Agencies Report:
2023, 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1998, 1997, 1996, 1995, 1994, 1993, 1992, 1991, 1990, 1989, 1988.
Note: This report provides membership details as well as meeting information and a summary of the group's activities.
Chairman of the committee that formed the State High School League: Harry C. Bell, 1916-1927
Executive Directors: Otto Smith, 1928-1942; Harold Peterson, 1942-1958; Beverly Hill, 1959-1970; Murrae Freng, 1970-1985; Orv Bies, 1985-1988; David Stead, 1988-?; Erich Martens, ?-present