Poultry Improvement Board
Also known as:
Minnesota Poultry Improvement Board
Function: For the purpose of fostering the development of the poultry industry of the state of Minnesota, particularly through the improvement of breed type and productiveness of poultry flocks and through the control and eradication of infectious and communicable diseases and for the further purpose of affording protection to buyers of poultry breeding stock by providing and indicating dependable sources from which poultry may be purchased, a body was created to be known as the Minnesota Poultry Improvement Board.
In 1955 sanitation requirements and licensing of animal and poultry slaughtering and packing plants were enacted into law.
In 1957 the operations of the Poultry Improvement Board were transferred to the Division of Poultry Industries within the Department of Agriculture. The Department was given authority to make rules and regulations relating to the grading, candling, cleaning, breaking, purchasing and selling of eggs and egg products.
(Source: History of the MDA)
In 1969 membership on the Board was changed eliminating the chief of the poultry division of the College of Agriculture, University of Minnesota.
1975 Minn. Laws Chap. 61 abolishes the Poultry Improvement Board.
In 1931, the Board was to be constituted as follows: The Commissioner of Agriculture, Dairy and Food of the State of Minnesota, the Chief of the Poultry Division of the College of Agriculture, University of Minnesota, the secretary and executive officer of the State Livestock Sanitary Board and two other members who shall be competent and experienced poultrymen and who shall also be owners and operators of commercial poultry hatcheries to be appointed by the governor of the state of-Minnesota each for terms of three years and until their successors qualify; provided,, however, that, of the first two appointments 'of hatchery owners after the passage of this act, one shall be appointed for a two-year term only.
News clippings and documents. Agencies Notebook Collection, 1958-1969.
Record last updated:
All information on this group from the Library’s collection of agency notebooks has been digitized. These
materials are incorporated into the “documents/articles” section of the record. Please contact a librarian with any questions. The Minnesota Agencies database is a work in progress.